Monday, December 12, 2011

Final Bird Project Report


For my Bird Project that I completed during the fall of 2011, I researched the Puffins. I had some difficulty in finding a project to work on. I had contacted multiple organizations, approaching them willing to help in any way possible, but was informed no help was needed. I contacted Project Puffin, and spoke with Rose Borzik, but since I currently reside in the southern part of New Jersey, I was informed that I wouldn’t be much help to their organization. I tried to then reach out to the Bald Eagle organization, hoping that with a new bird I would have more luck, but as it turns out, that was not the case, and I was turned away from them as well. The region I was assigned was the Atlantic Periphery, and it seemed that the organizations I was contacting all wanted help from locals, and that there wouldn’t be much for me to do from New Jersey. After reaching multiple dead ends, I decided to take matters into my own hands and create a Facebook page dedicated to the Puffins. 
            I began the creation of the Puffin page with a brief description of what the Puffins are and where they live, what they eat, a brief introduction. They I began to make statuses as if I was in fact a Puffin, trying to make the page stand out from others.  I also posted a link to my blog that I made about my experience with finding and creating a Bird Project. On the Facebook page I also posted other links to websites about Puffins I found to be informative or interesting; some showed ways to get involved with saving the Puffins, or ways that others were helping out. All together I made 12 posts and acquired over 100 likes.
            For the blog I created, I named it “bird is da word” trying to make it sound catching and fun. Here I discussed and ranted about the problems I encountered while working on my project; from looking for an organization to getting people to actually look and “like” my page.  This was a very stressful process, since the majority of my grade for my Geography of the US and Canada was depending on my Bird Project.


a-z-animals.com
http://birdisdaword.blogspot.com
craftingagreenworld.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Puffins
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/08/0812_020812_TVpuffin.html
shop.projectpuffin.org

No comments:

Post a Comment